2425 Park Avenue South, Minneapolis, MN 55404. Cell: (651) 353-0969. Email:
(October, 2007 – Present)
• Provide Christ-based counseling to men, women, couples and adolescents based on
training as a medical specialist, lawyer, seminarian and pastor, soul-care provider and
HOVIS LAW, PLLC, Attorney and Owner, Minneapolis, MN (July, 2007 – Present)
• Provide legal services to clients as a general practitioner in areas of law such as church,
corporate and contract, non-profit, real estate, insurance, environment, and family; Qualified
Neutral under Rule 114 of the MN Supreme Court; Completed Mediation Training Certified
by the Supreme Court; Volunteer with Community Mediation Services.
(December, 2005 – June, 2007)
• Served as the Legal Resources Manager for RSR, a company that serves as the Special
Markets Business Manager for Pan-American Life Insurance Company. Special Markets
includes areas such as Excess Loss, Medical, Dental, Vision, Prescription, AD&D, Travel and
Life insurance programs.
• Draft contracts with reinsurers, insurers, managing general underwriters, third party
administrators, producers, consultants and other entities.
• Perform legal and compliance functions in 44 states and the District of Columbia; assist
with the development and filing of insurance products.
• Act as corporate counsel.
KELLY LAW REGISTRY, West Reference Attorney (temporary) Eagan, MN
(August, 2005 – November, 2005)
• Assist clients with legal research and product usage in Westlaw, including case law,
statutes, public records and industry-specific databases such as Tax, Intellectual Property,
Securities and Bankruptcy.
NORTH SHORE BAPTIST CHURCH, Senior Pastor, Peabody, MA
(November, 2002 – May 2005)
• Responsibilities included preparing and preaching the Sunday sermon and conducting
church and other services, leading small groups, teaching marriage classes and parenting
classes, marriage counseling, grief counseling, teaching Bible and theology, and training
teachers and future leaders.
DORSEY & WHITNEY, LLP, Associate, Minneapolis, MN
(June 2000 – August 2001)
• Practiced in the areas of general corporate law, underwritten public offerings (debt and
equity), private placements (debt and equity), mergers and acquisitions, emerging growth
companies, venture capital financing and corporate finance. Practice included domestic and
RIDER, BENNETT, EGAN & ARUNDEL, LLP, Associate, Minneapolis, MN
(September 1998 – June 2000)
• Member of Business Department. Scope of Practice included serving as general counsel
for small corporations, compensation planning, stockholder and director relations, business
acquisitions, sales and mergers, financing transactions, and recapitalization and
restructuring of businesses. I drafted and negotiated appropriate documentation for a variety
of business transactions including: business purchases, sales and mergers, leveraged leases,
equipment leases, employment arrangements, shareholder succession plans, commercial and
construction loans, joint ventures, sales and licensing arrangements, construction projects,
and technology utilization. I have also served as corporate counsel for a non-profit
• Member of the Real Estate Practice Group. Scope of Practice included serving clients in
their capacities as buyers, sellers, tenants, landlords and owners of real property. I
negotiated and drafted commercial real estate purchase agreements, license agreements,
leases and loan documents, and was involved in land use issues that include obtaining
conditional use permits, zoning variances and vacations of public lands for governmental
U.S. BANCORP (d.b.a. U.S. BANK), Legal Clerk, Minneapolis, MN (June 1997 – June 1998)
• Researched, analyzed, prepared memos, drafted letters, and worked with attorneys and
staff, regarding legal issues involving Creditor's Remedies/Secured Transactions,
Commercial Paper, Banking Law (e.g. OCC regulations, Riegle-Neal Act), Employment Law,
Contracts, Tort Law (Defamation), Antitrust and Bankruptcy.
ROBERT N. RONINGEN, Sole Practitioner, Legal Clerk, Duluth, MN (July 1997 – July 1998)
• Prepared successful Respondent's Brief to Minnesota Court of Appeals and Minnesota
Supreme Court in defense of an adoption.
• Prepared trial briefs, motions, legal memoranda, and affidavits, in the defense of
adoptive parents, in a suit for treble damages in a trespass claim, and in a contracts dispute.
We won all three cases.
UNIVERSITY OF MINNESOTA LAW SCHOOL, Tech Corps, Minneapolis, MN
(Summer 1996 – Spring 1997)
• Provided in-house computer, network and other technical support to the Law School
Faculty and Staff.
WEST PUBLISHING, Summer Intern, Eagan, MN (1995)
• Edited WESTLAW databases.
MASON SECURITIES, INC., Summer Intern, Herndon, VA (1994)
• Researched investment opportunities for clients as a financial planning intern.
MN AIR NATIONAL GUARD, Medical Services Non-Commissioned Officer, Duluth, MN
• Managed base-wide combat lifesaver program. Taught new instructors, monitored
active instructors and coordinated base units to ensure program quality.
U.S. ARMY, Medical Services Non-Commissioned Officer, (Active Duty 1987-1991)
• Performed leadership duties as Assistant Squad Leader, managed clinical operations,
triaged and treated patients, led soldiers in field operations, and instructed soldiers in first
aid skills in both large and small group settings.
• Trained as a Spanish Linguist.
EDUCATION / HONORS
GORDON-CONWELL THEOLOGICAL SEMINARY
Master of Divinity, cum laude, May 2004
• Pastoral Counseling Award
• Pierce Disciple-Building Scholar
• Research Assistant for Dr. Pablo Polischuck, co-founder of the counseling program at
• Mentored by Dr. Polischuck and Dr. Robert Coleman (author of The Master Plan of
Evangelism, evangelist, etc.)
UNIVERSITY OF MINNESOTA LAW SCHOOL
Juris Doctor, cum laude, May 1998
• International Moot Court Competition Team
• Academy of Certified Trial Lawyers of Minnesota Scholarship Recipient
• Dean’s List
• Co-Chair Christian Legal Society
UNIVERSITY OF MINNESOTA
Bachelor of Arts, Economics, summa cum laude, May 1995
Minor in Business Administration
• Omicron Delta Epsilon (National economics honor society)
• Phi Kappa Phi (National honor society)
• Departmental honors, Economics Department
• Dean's List
• President of InterVarsity Christian Fellowship
• Member of Summer Exchange to Petrozavodsk, Russia
UNITED STATES ARMY
• U.S. Army Basic Non-Commissioned Officer’s School
• U.S. Army Mountaineering and Rappelling School
• U.S. Army Medic School
• Defense Language Institute. Spanish Linguist.
• U.S. Army Basic Training
• Army Commendation Medal for tour in Korea.
• Soldier of the Cycle and Recipient of Army Achievement Medal in Medic School.
• Maxwell D. Taylor Award for outstanding military deportment and exceptional
academic achievement at the Defense Language Institute.
MINNESOTA ATTORNEY LICENSE NUMBER: 0286205. LICENSED SINCE 1998.